Money and Time-Conscious Parent Engagement Ideas
Posted 11/28/2013 at 1:58:44 PM by Michelle Vroom [System User]
By using technology, we save time and money! While we may miss a certain segment of the population when using technology, we also reach a segment we would not reach in any other way. The non-custodial parent who lives in another state, the grandparents, the serviceman stationed away from his family, future families to attend the school district and other community members...all of these people can follow the happenings of the school through e-communication.
Others still prefer to have something to hold in their hand that comes home in the backpack. This is the reason multiple channels must be available to get the messages out loud and clear for a transparency to all your stakeholders.
- e-Communication provides convenience.
- e-Newsletters allow others to be able to subscribe and share them.
- Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest create interaction with responses. Ask your parents to send in photos of their children from their email account so you know you have permission to post.
- Weekly bulletins provide a quick update for those who have limited time to keep up to date.
- Superintendent’s blog is a way to create a more personable experience for parents to know the Superintendent when they do not get face time.
- Mass email, voice mail and text software provides a fast, inexpensive way to reach your parents, students, staff and community members fast. It is important not to overuse. Having the ability for parents to choose language to hear/read them in imperative for some households.
- School website news bulletins allow people to get up to date information at any time of the day.
- Last but not least, the ability to receive all types of technology on mobile devices is necessary to increase the engagement rate exponentially.
Check back for our next blog entry on surefire ways for parent engagement. These will be unique ideas where you will be guaranteed to find new opportunities to engage parents.