Michelle Vroom's Blog Page
Summer Checklist for School Administrators
Posted 6/16/2014 at 12:17:28 PM by Michelle Vroom [System User]
All school district administrators are faced with a myriad of tasks that must be completed throughout the school year—and most know that the summer months can be the busiest of times.
Whether this is your first or twentieth year as an administrator, planning everything that needs to get done before the start of the new school year can be a challenge.
Here is a quick checklist to help make sure your school or district is prepared to the fullest:
We hope that some of these ideas can help lay the groundwork for a smooth start to next fall and years to come.
- Hire new personnel—including planning a new staff orientation.
- Order materials for the new staff.
- Finalize any summer work being paid for with grant money.
- Have summer camp programs approved by your board—and remember to develop supervision plans for these.
- Put the finishing touches on your summer school program - including class size and teacher selection.
- Prepare evaluations of Title I and gifted to give to your Superintendent.
- Schedule summer athletic practices, weight lifting sessions, etc.
- Set a date and time for physicals for fall sports.
- Finalize a plan for student registration and advertise the dates to parents.
- Update both student and staff handbooks and distribute.
- Supervise a summer driver’s education program for your high school students.
- Make updates to your School Improvement Plan.
- Most importantly, evaluate your school district’s web presence!